Sunday 31 May 2015

Mixed Reality Lab talk

This past Friday I gave a talk at the University of Nottingham's Mixed Reality Lab, at the kind invitation of Steve Benford. The talk was held in a fairly normal-looking room, the most unusual aspect of which was the fact that the projector worked. Easily. Immediately. First try. Running off of an ancient Mac. Could anything be more impressive than that?

The answer was an emphatic yes. I chatted away afterwards with a really interesting collection of people and tried to convey to them the legendariness, the aura, that surrounds the MRL. They didn't seem to believe me... but the types of stuff they're up to and interested in convinced me that the legend-aura-ness is well deserved.

Everyone was hospitable and lovely, the campus was gorgeous (though discreetly hidden behind a car dealership), and I had loads of attentive folks at my talk on 'Performative Experience Design and the aesthetics of performance'. I even got to strum the Carolan guitar. Now there's a day well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment